Business Incubator Center
Are you a Yucaipa-based small business owner looking to start and grow your business? Consider applying to the City’s Business Incubator Center Program. The program offers the support, resources, tools, and environment to enable a path of growth and success for your small business. In doing so, the program benefits the local community in creating jobs and helping sustain economic growth.
The program has a term of three years and participants have access to consulting, training and workshops, as well as low-cost, quality, office space.
Consulting, Training, and Workshops
Serving as a regional business resource center, the YBIC has partnered with the Inland Empire Small Business Development Center (SBDC) to provide consulting, workshops, and training offered in a variety of areas including, but not limited to business finance, customer service, accounting, marketing, and more for participants and the business community.
Low-Cost, Quality, Office Space
Where better to start your business than in a professional working environment? Participants in the City’s YBIC program have access to a quality, office space and a professional work environment complete with City administrative support staff, office equipment, and work place amenities such as a conference room and break room.
In addition, participants have a “tiered” rent schedule. For the first six months of the term, rent is NO COST, followed by 60% of the market rate in months 6 – 18, 75% of market rate in months 18-24, and 100% market rate in months 24 – 36. The purpose of the tiered rent schedule is to ease the transition to market rate commercial rents.
With the assistance of the SBDC business consultant, participants must complete the following program obligations, all of which are beneficial to the business’ success, during the three year term:
- Membership in the Yucaipa Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Attend monthly meetings (at least nine per year) to discuss goals, challenges, and accomplishments;
- Attend 4 workshops per year that increase business skills;
- Set 3-6 strategic goals each year and review/rate performance relative to goals each year;
- Submit a business plan within three months of entering the Program and keep it current;
- Create annual budget projections by month and track/report budget vs. actuals monthly;
- Submit a Profit and Loss Statement and Balance Sheet at least once annually;
- Present a business overview and status report annually to the Board of Directors.
Applications are accepted on a continuous basis, provided there is available office space for lease at the Incubator facility. We encourage interested participants to contact staff prior to completing and submitting an application to verify available office space. Upon confirmation of available office space, interested participants may proceed in completing and submitting an application.
Admittance to the program is determined by the City’s Incubator Committee, and based on the information provided in your application. To complete the application, basic information as well as the following will be requested. It is recommended that you prepare your responses to the questions and compile all pertinent documents prior to submitting the application.
- Status of business – new or existing (if new, a projected start date)
- A description of your business and the products / services provided
- Legal organization type (i.e. sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, corporation, or other),
- Federal employer tax ID
- Name and address of principal stockholders
- Existing and future employee count (full time and part time)
- Gross sales information
- Business plan
a. If you have a current business plan, you will be prompted to upload the business plan document into the application system. If you need assistance preparing the business plan and are admitted into the program, there is a professional business consultant ready to assist you!
- Information on where you currently market your products/services and the customers
- A listing of other firms you consider to be your primary competition
- If applicable, an explanation of new products/services within the next two years.
- If applicable, an explanation on plans to expand markets within the next two years.
- Projections of needed capital for your business during the next 1-3 years.
a. Proposals to obtain capital
- If applicable, changes or expansions planned within the next 1-3 years
- If already in business, an explanation of current marketing activities
- If applicable, discuss plans to stay in Yucaipa
- An explanation on how the Yucaipa Business Incubator Center will assist you in developing your business.