ResidentsSOLID WASTE & RECYCLING
The City of Yucaipa has an exclusive franchise agreement with Yucaipa Disposal (Burrtec Waste Industries, Inc.) for the collection and handling of solid waste, recycling, and green waste within the City. Pursuant to Yucaipa Municipal Code (YMC), Title 8 of Chapter 8.28, all property within the City is required to subscribe to refuse collection and handling services. The program is designed to collect trash, recyclables, and green waste and to assist the City in meeting mandated AB 939 diversion goals established by the State of California. Pursuant to Yucaipa Municipal Code, Chapter 8.28, solid waste collection and recycling service is mandatory in the City of Yucaipa.
Community Clean Up Events
Community cleanup events will be available to all residents at no additional cost. Look for upcoming event details and dates in your Residential newsletters.
Pull out service for barrels at no additional charge is available for the elderly or disabled. This is available to all other residents for an additional monthly fee.
Yucaipa Disposal offers a three cubic yard “rent-a-bin” for residential clean-up and special projects. Larger bins are also available. Please call for service information and rates.
Horse and Livestock Waste
For those residents with horses or livestock, Yucaipa Disposal provides a 60-gallon black automated container for livestock waste. These barrels are available at a nominal charge. Place a newspaper or paper bag at the bottom of the barrel to keep the material from sticking. Yucaipa Disposal will collect the waste on your regular collection day.
Used Motor Oil Recycling
Yucaipa Disposal will collect and recycle residential used motor oil and filters at curbside. Please call our Customer Service Department for more details.
Trash Collection Program
The residential automated solid waste collection program provided for the City of Yucaipa is designed to efficiently collect trash, recyclables, and green waste. Your support and participation in this program are appreciated.
The Yucaipa Disposal proposed solid waste collection rate adjustment options and the Annual Report, which focuses on Yucaipa Disposal’s performance and quality of service over the prior year, are presented to the City Council on an annual basis. The solid waste collection rates are subject to Proposition 218. To comply with the requirements of Proposition 218, the City conducts a public hearing not less than 45-days after Yucaipa Disposal mails rate adjustment notices to Yucaipa customers. Click here to review the current residential service rates. Please call Yucaipa Disposal at 909-797-9125 with questions about your day of service, to change service levels, to report a missed pickup, or to request bulky item service.
Residents receive one time per week collection of trash, recyclables and green waste. Residential service is mandatory and based on single-family home waste generation. Low volume trash generators can benefit from a smaller 15 gallon trash barrel and a reduced solid waste and recycling bill. Trash, recycling, and green waste barrels are available for an additional fee.
Please place barrels at curbside the night before or no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of collection. Place your barrels near the corner of your driveway, in the street, at curbside with the handles facing your home. The barrels must be placed at least three feet away from any obstruction such as a vehicle, fence, lamp post, power pole or mail box and one foot between other barrels. Trash not at curbside at time of collection will be collected the following week. As a courtesy to your neighbor, promptly remove carts after service.
Yucaipa residents are provided a 90 gallon BLUE barrel for recyclable materials and a 60 or 90 gallon GREEN barrel is to be used for green waste material. Additional recycling barrels are available upon request for an additional monthly fee per barrel.
Place these recyclable items in your BLUE barrel:
- Aluminum cans
- Aluminum foil
- Computer paper
- Glass bottles & jars
- Junk mail
- Mixed paper
- Paper tubes
- Phone Books
- #1 – #7 plastic containers
- Plastic soda or water bottles
- Tissue boxes
- Used envelopes
Place these items in your GREEN waste barrel:
- Brush & shrub trimmings
- Grass clippings
- Tree trimmings and clippings
- Twigs & small branches
- Weeds & leaves
- Animal waste
- Bird of Paradise plants
- Cactus plants
- Dirt & rock
- Food waste
- Palm fronds
Consider these statistics:
- Each year, junk mail destroys 80 million trees and wastes 28 billion gallons of water.
- That amount of junk mail averages out to 34 pounds a year for each woman, man and child in the US.
- We spend an average of 8 months of our lives dealing with junk mail.
Had enough? Put a stop to junk mail by following the six steps to get off mailing lists to STOP junk mail. Here are some highlights:
- Whenever you request to be added or deleted from a mailing list, add these words “Please remove my name and address from your mailing lists and do not rent, sell or trade my name or address.”
- Use Form 1500 (PDF) from the US Postal Service to stop unwanted mail. According to ecocycle, “this form was originally intended to block unwanted pornographic mail, but in 1970 the Supreme Court extended its purpose. The form can now be used to stop any unwanted mail.”
- Call 1-888-567-8688 (1-888-5OPT-OUT) to end credit card solicitations or visit http://www.optoutprescreen.com. You will have the opportunity to choose either a five-year removal or a permanent removal. For your personal credit cards, ask the company to place you on their “in house” list that is not sold or traded to other companies.
- Sign Up for the “Stop Junk Mail for GOOD Program”!
Please note that this program is temporarily cancelled
The City of Yucaipa provides a FREE mulch and compost program to Yucaipa residents the first Saturday of each month. Residents can obtain this FREE mulch and compost just south of Oak Glen Road on 2nd Street beyond the City Yard (across the street from the Yucaipa Community Center). The facility is open to local residents on the first Saturday of each month from 9 AM to 12 noon and is adequately staffed to ensure the overall intent of the program meets the City’s objectives. The program operates as follows:
- Must be a Resident of Yucaipa
- Must Show Photo ID/Driver’s License Proving Residency
- Not for Commercial Purposes / No Contractors
- This is a Self-Service Program
- 2 Cubic Yards per Vehicle Allowed. One Cubic Yard is Equal to six (6) 32-Gallon Trash Cans
- A Tarp is Recommended for Open Bed Trucks or Trailers
- Two (2) Visits Per Day Only
- First Come First Served
- City Reserves the Right to Refuse Service to Any Person
- City Reserves the Right to Close at any Time Due to Product Availability or Poor Weather Conditions
If you are a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to changing your motor oil, here’s important news: Yucaipa will help you get rid of your used motor oil safely and recycle it, too. Residents must call Yucaipa Disposal at 909-797-9125 to request a collection. FREE curbside service takes place the first Tuesday of each month. Service will be scheduled according to the calls received from customers no later than the Friday prior to the designated service day.
Collection Day Guidelines
- Customers must provide their own container. This container must be a clear plastic and must have a secure lid.
- Waste oil must be strictly waste oil from engines and not be contaminated with any other type of fluid or material.
- Each customer will be limited to 2-gallons per month, in a container no larger than 3 gallons in size.
- Used waste oil filters will be accepted if they are drained and placed in a clear plastic bag or coffee can with a secure lid.
Why Recycle Used Oil?
Did you know that used motor oil never wears out? It just gets dirty and can be recycled, cleaned, and used again. Recycling used motor oil conserves a natural resource (oil) and is good for the environment too! Motor oil poured onto the ground or into storm drains, or tossed into trash cans (even in a sealed container) can contaminate and pollute the soil, groundwater, streams, and rivers. Recycling your used motor oil reduces this pollution threat. When you take your used oil to a certified center for recycling, you are protecting the environment, conserving a valuable resource, and getting paid for it. That’s a winning combination!
What About Contaminated Oil?
Certified center managers will not accept used motor oil that has been contaminated with other fluids such as antifreeze, solvents, gasoline, or water. So please, don’t mix your used oil with anything. However, if your used oil accidentally gets contaminated, your certified center manager can tell you where to take it for proper disposal. Alternatively, you can get information from the Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at 909-382-5401 about how to deal with your suspected contaminated oil.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Residents can safely dispose of unused household cleaners, batteries, paints, used motor oil, and electronics with the County of San Bernardino’s Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program. The service is free, but proof of residency in San Bernardino County is required. Business waste is not accept. Please call 800/645-9228 for a complete list of acceptable items, transportation guidelines, and emergency closure notices.
- San Bernardino Intl. Airport Collection Center
2824 “W” Street, Bldg. 302
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Redlands City Yard HHW Collection Center
500 Kansas Street
Redlands, CA 92373
Material Reuse Store
Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Find FREE household products at the San Bernardino Reuse Store located at 2824 East W Street, San Bernardino. Products are available to San Bernardino County residents ONLY. Products are in good conditions with original manufacturer labels and are at least half full. Some are even unopened! Availability will vary. Some of the products available include paint, pool chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, care products, and fertilizers. Material Reuse Store guidelines:
- Available to San Bernardino County residents only
- Valid CA Driver’s License/ID required with each visit
- Limit of 35 lbs. per month, per resident
- Shoes, shirt, long pants, and face masks required
- Children and animals are NOT allowed in the Material Reuse Store
- No opening, shaking or sniffing of chemical allowed
Prescription Drug Collection Program
The City of Yucaipa and Yucaipa Valley Water District have funded a permanent MedReturn drug collection receptacle in order to reduce the supply of drugs that can potentially harm children and our water supply. Citizens looking to dispose of excess and expired prescription and over-the-counter medications can now visit the Yucaipa Police Station lobby (34144 Yucaipa Boulevard, Yucaipa) and drop off medications with no questions asked. Items that can be dropped off:
- Prescription Patches
- Prescription Medications
- Prescription Ointments
- Over-the-counter medications
- Medication for pets
- *Syringes will not be accepted*
Too Toxic to Trash – Dispose of Sharps Safely
It is illegal to put used needles into a plastic milk jug and throw them into your garbage can. It’s not good for the environment, either. To dispose of a syringe properly, you need an approved sharps disposal container. Residents may request Sharps containers for storing and proper disposal at no additional cost. Participating residents can pick up a Sharps container at Yucaipa City Hall. Sharps containers can be deposited in the Sharps drop-off receptacle located just outside the Yucaipa Police Station entrance. Please do not do the following:
- Do not put needles into used plastic milk jugs, bleach bottles or soda bottles.
- Do not flush needles down the toilet.
- Do not throw used needles, syringes, or lancets in the garbage or recycling containers.
Hazardous Materials – Warning!
Please do not expose your trash collector or landfill to dangers such as: EXPLOSIVES, LIQUIDS THAT ARE TOXIC, HIGHLY FLAMMABLE OR RADIOACTIVE, OR ANY OTHER HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INCLUDING PAINT, PESTICIDES and CLEANERS. DO NOT place these items in your barrel.
Yucaipa Disposal observes the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. If the holiday falls on a weekday, services will be delayed by one day for that week only. Your regular schedule will resume the following week. There is no interruption in service if the holiday is on Saturday or Sunday.
Yucaipa Disposal will collect your Christmas trees placed at the curb on your scheduled collection day beginning December 26th and will continue for approximately two weeks on your regular collection day. Trees longer than 6’ must be cut in half. Please remove ornaments, tinsel, and stands before placing at curbside.
Are you replacing an old sofa, water heater or refrigerator and don’t know what to do with it? We’ll take care of it. Residents can request up to four curbside collections of large or bulky items during a 12-month period (pick-up second week of Feb/May/Aug/Nov). Limit of five items per collection. This program also includes electronic waste. This program is at no additional costs and designed for your convenience. Please call our Customer Service Department at 909/797-9125 one week prior to your schedule collection day to arrange pick-up.