HOMEOWNER RESOURCESNational Flood Insurance Program
The City of Yucaipa is a participating community in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), which means that you can purchase flood insurance to protect your property against the hazard of flooding. The following streambeds have been known for potential flooding in our community: Wilson Creek, Wildwood Creek, Gateway Wash, Yucaipa Creek, Oak Glen Creek, Chicken Springs Wash, Dunlap Channel. This is not a complete list of areas that are within flood zones, but rather a list of areas with documented flooding problems. You don’t need to live near a drainage channel to be flooded. Here are some facts:
- Floods can be caused by heavy storms, melting snow, hurricanes, dam or levee failure, or inadequate or overloaded drainage systems.
- Just an inch of water can cause costly damage to your property.
- Most property insurance policies do not cover damage caused by flooding.
- A flood policy will pay covered losses even if a disaster is not declared by the President.
- In most cases, there is a 30-day waiting period after you purchase a flood policy before coverage is in effect, so don’t wait until a flood is threatening.
- Flood insurance can be purchased on eligible residential and commercial buildings and/or their contents, or tenants can purchase contents -only coverage (residential and commercial).
- A number of properties in Yucaipa experienced flooding last rainy season alone, some properties more than once.
- Over the last few years, City staff, at the direction of the City Council, has complete two Letter of Map Revisions (LOMR) resulting in approximately 420 properties being removed from the designated flood plan area.
Contact your insurance agent for more information about flood insurance or to purchase a flood insurance policy. If you don’t have an agent, or your agent does not write flood insurance, the NFIP has a toll-free number for agent referrals (1-800/CALL FLOOD 1-800/225-5356 or TDD # 1-800-427-5593).