NewsMailbox Tampering / Mail Theft
The Yucaipa Police Department is currently investigating mailbox tampering, as well as mail theft, in both privately owned and community shared mailboxes. Although this crime has been observed and investigated by law enforcement for many years, there has been an increase in the number of reported incidents in the City of Yucaipa in the past few weeks.
The United States Postal Inspectors recommend the following tips to lower the chances that you will become a victim of this crime.
- Retrieve your mail as soon as possible after it is delivered. Don’t leave your mail unattended for extended periods. Don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- If you cannot regularly retrieve your mail promptly, consider installing a lockable mailbox or obtaining P.O. Box service from your local post office.
- If you will be away from home temporarily, you can notify your post office to hold your mail with the online hold mail service on the US Postal Service website: https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/.
- Always deposit your mail in a mail slot at your local post office, or hand it to your letter carrier.
- Monitor your bank account statements regularly, and report any charges or checks you did not authorize.
- Monitor your credit report and report any accounts you did not authorize.
- Ask your bank for “secure” checks that can’t be altered.
Please call the Yucaipa Police Department dispatch line at 909-790-3100 if you believe you are a victim of mail theft, or to report any suspicious activity at or near any mail receiving or distributing locations.