Municipal ElectionsFiling for the Office of City Council
Candidates for the office of City Council Member must:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be 18 years of age or older on or before election day
- Reside in, and be a registered voter in, the district in which he or she seeks election at the time nomination papers are issued
- Reside in the district during their incumbency
The five single-member districts are reflected on the District Map, which is available on the City of Yucaipa GIS portal.
Candidate Filing Period
The candidate filing period for the November 3, 2020, General Election begins on July 13, 2020, and closes on August 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM. It is during this period of time that candidates may request and file candidate filing documents in order to run for local office. The City of Yucaipa City Clerk’s office serves as the Elections Official and as the Filing Officer for all documents that each candidate will be required to review, complete, and submit during the filing period and throughout their candidacy.
Candidate Filing Appointments
- Email email@example.com or call 909-797-2489, ext. 221 or 230.
- Schedule appointments early, as appointments will be limited as the deadline nears. Walk-in appointments will not be available.
- In an effort to maintain the health and safety of staff and candidates, only the candidate OR the candidate’s authorized representative will be allowed in the candidate filing room. Face masks are required.
- Download the Candidate Filing Guide. The Guide includes information such as key dates and timelines, qualifications for office, the candidate filing process, campaign finance laws, campaign rules, and links to various website resources and agencies.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request electronic write-in enabled candidate filing forms to begin the candidate filing process or pick up the candidate filing forms in person at City Hall during the filing period
- Schedule your candidate filing appointment
Financial Disclosure Forms
Prior to the opening of the Candidate Filing Period (July 13 – 7:30 a.m. – August 7 – 10:00 AM.), a candidate for local office may choose to file the following financial disclosure forms that are required as part of the candidate filing process. The Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) is an independent regulatory agency that enforces campaign finance law. The City of Yucaipa City Clerk’s office is the local Filing Officer for the FPPC, and is responsible for working with the candidates who are required to submit campaign disclosure statements:
- Form 501 – Candidate Statement of Intention and Campaign Contributions: Candidates must file this form prior to accepting any campaign contributions or making any campaign expenditures.
- Form 410 – Statement of Organization: Candidates that plan to spend or receive campaign contributions of $2,000 or more must file this form.
A write-in enabled electronic version of each form is available on the FPPC’s website at http://www.fppc.ca.gov/learn/campaign-rules/campaign-forms.html.
Calendar of Events
This information is for general information only and does not have the force and effect of law, regulations, or rule. In case of conflict, the law, regulation, or rule will apply. Because of possible changes in law or procedure since the publication of this information, the Candidate should obtain the most up-to-date information available.
First day to procure Nomination Papers from the City Clerk.
Deadline for filing Nomination Papers with the City Clerk. All relevant documents must be filed at one time. Last day to withdraw Nomination Papers.
Last day to withdraw Candidate Statement (unless there is an extension of the nomination period). Candidate may withdraw but not change statement.
Candidate filing extension deadline. The filing period will be extended only for non-incumbents and only if an incumbent eligible to file does not file by August 7th.
Last day to withdraw Candidate Statement if candidate filing period is extended.
Secretary of State to draw randomized alphabet. This determines the order of candidate’s names on ballot.
Any qualifying person wishing to file as a write-in-candidate may pick up Nomination Papers beginning on this date.
Deadline for write-in-candidate to file Nomination Papers.
The City Clerk’s office extends a courteous, cooperative, and strictly non-partisan attitude toward all candidates at all times. Whether this is your first election experience or you have participated in previous elections, we hope we can provide you with assistance that will make your candidate filing a positive experience. Best wishes to you in your campaign. You may contact our office at 909/797-2489 for additional information.