Municipal ElectionsMeasure “E”
City of Yucaipa Proposed Transactions and Use Tax Ordinance of 2020
On November 25, 2019, the Yucaipa City Council voted unanimously to place a General Transactions and Use Tax on the March 3, 2020 ballot. If approved by the voters, the Measure would adopt the City of Yucaipa Transactions and Use Tax Ordinance of 2020 (the “Sales Tax Ordinance”), which would increase the City’s existing sales tax rate by 0.5%.
Measure E Requires Fiscal Accountability and Transparency
- Revenue would be collected by the State of California under a contract in the same way the existing sales tax is collected, and paid over to the City
- Requires that out-of-town visitors pay for services when they visit our City
- Would not be applied to prescription medications or food bought as groceries
- Proceeds of the tax and the expenditure thereof would be annually audited by an independent accounting firm
- Requires a Citizens’ Oversight Committee to be formed to review the expenditure of funds generated by this ordinance, and to provide an annual report to the City Council on those expenditures.
Measure E Ballot Question
To avoid cutbacks in Yucaipa’s existing paramedic program and increased response times on emergency 911 calls; generate funds from Yucaipa visitors to benefit local residents; enhance police and fire protection; increase local youth and senior services; and fund other general services provided throughout the City like streets and parks, shall the ordinance be adopted to increase the local sales tax by one-half percent; generating approximately $2,000,000 annually, with citizen oversight, mandatory audits, and public reporting?
Measure E Documents
- Staff Report (November 25, 2019 City Council Meeting)
- City Council Resolution Placing Measure E on the Ballot (Resolution No. 2019-56)
- Proposed Ordinance
- Yucaipa Funding Feasibility Survey
- Notice to Voters of Date After Which No Arguments Against a City Measure May be Submitted to the City Clerk
- Argument in Favor – None
- Argument Against – None
- Notice of Election (English)
- Notice of Election (Spanish)
- City Attorney Impartial Analysis
- Questions and Answers