Property Improvement ProgramsRestaurant Infrastructure Improvement Program
Looking to start a restaurant in Yucaipa? You may be eligible to apply for the City’s new Restaurant Infrastructure Improvement Program! This unique program is designed to encourage the addition of restaurants located within a portion of the former Redevelopment Project Area (see ‘Eligibility’ section below for program area boundaries). Through this loan program, a property owner may obtain funding for up to $30,000 of certain improvement costs associated with the conversion of an existing building to a restaurant use. This program requires a “match” whereby the City will match funds provided by the property owner. As part of this program, approved participants will repay the loan amount to the City, and a lien will be instated in the Office of the County of San Bernardino Auditor-Controller/Recorder which will be released upon final repayment of the loan.
To qualify for this exciting opportunity, applicants must be property owners and/or tenants of commercial properties within an area of the former Redevelopment Project Area bounded by Bryant Street to the east, 2nd Street to the west, and California Street between Yucaipa Boulevard and Avenue B. Applicants must have received approval from the City’s Planning Division for a restaurant land use for their property and occupy a building that is at minimum 2,500 sq. ft. in size. In addition, the space must:
- Provide indoor capacity of at least 25 seats;
- Function as a full-service restaurant with dinner service;
- Have a full kitchen, wait staff, and dining room at minimum.
If applying as a tenant, a letter from the property owner consenting to the improvements and lien requirement must be submitted at the time of initial application.
Eligible Project Costs
Eligible project costs may include engineering design, architectural design, fees, permits, insurance, and the construction cost. In addition, eligible construction elements may include:
- exhaust hoods
- grease traps/interceptors
- floor sinks
- electrical upgrades
- water heater upgrades
The eligibility of other improvements will be examined by staff on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for the program, applicants must submit a Program Application with the following information:
- Applicant information
- Property owner information (if applicant is a tenant of property)
- Site / building information
- Description of proposed improvements
- Including cost estimates (Attach backup documentation supporting proposed improvements, such as bids and quotes from contractor(s))
- If applicant is a tenant, notarized letter from property owner (1) approving the improvements and (2) consenting to the lien instated on the property which will be released upon final repayment of the loan is required.
Approved applicants will be required to enter into a Loan Agreement with the City. The City of Yucaipa may loan 100% of the total approved project cost in an amount not to exceed $30,000.