DEVELOPMENT ASSISTANCEFacade Improvement Program
The City of Yucaipa Community Development’s Facade Improvement Program is a property enhancement program designed to improve the appearance of the existing businesses within the former Redevelopment Project Area. It is a grant reimbursement program in which a property or business owner may obtain funding for up to $10,000 of their facade improvement costs. The program requires matching funds by the property or business owner. In return, the property owner must agree to maintain the City’s funded improvements for a minimum of five (5) years. Since 2009, the City’s Facade Improvement Program has funded improvements for 16 businesses, the majority located in the Uptown.
Owners and tenants of commercial property within an area of the former Redevelopment Project Area bounded on the east by Bryant Street and on the west by 5th Street are eligible to apply. Such commercial properties must be in need of physical improvements in order to alleviate blighting conditions as set forth in Section 33125 of the California Health and Safety Code, and they must have been occupied within the preceding 24 months. Tenants are required to provide documentation of the property owner’s consent to the improvements at the time of initial application. Written consent must be in the form of a letter agreement indicating the lessee’s authority to renovate and repair the subject property.
Eligible Project Costs
Eligible project costs may include engineering design, architectural design, fees, permits, insurance, and the construction cost. The eligible construction elements may include:
- Fencing (decorative)
- Up to 20% of the grants may be used for handicapped accessibility upgrades when directly associated with facade improvements
The eligibility of other improvements will be examined by staff on a case-by-case basis.
Reimbursements will only be made to approved project applicants who have executed a Facade Maintenance Agreement with the City. The amounts and terms of the reimbursement will be outlined in the agreement. Reimbursement will only be made upon the City’s final approval of the improvements and the receipt of full back up documentation, which includes all of the following:
- Fully executed Facade Improvement Program Applications;
- All invoices, contracts, and verification of payment to architects, engineers, and contractors pursuant to the project;
- Copies of all bids received (a minimum of two (2) licensed contractors is required);
- A copy of the approved final building inspection from the Division of Building and Safety;
- A photograph of the building after completion of the improvements; and,
- Signed and Notarized Facade Maintenance Agreement and License to Enter in which the property owner agrees to maintain the City funded facade improvements for a minimum period of five (5) years.