Applications & PermitsHome Occupation Permit
Home Occupations and Cottage Industries are commercial uses which are accessory to a residential land use where such a use will clearly not alter the character nor the appearance of the residential environment. Home Occupations and Cottage Industries shall be permitted as accessory uses to a residential land use, subject to a Home Occupation Permit or a Special Use Permit and to the following conditions. Home Occupation and Cottage Industry standards are divided into three (3) groups of provisions:
- General standards applying to both Home Occupations and Cottage Industries.
- Home Occupation standards for properties within land use districts which allow residential uses.
- Cottage Industry standards for land use districts which require a minimum parcel size of two and one-half (2 1/2) acres and where the lot size is at least one (1) acre.
All Home Occupations and Cottage Industries shall adhere to the following standards:
- Pedestrian and vehicular traffic will be limited to that normally associated with residential districts.
- The Home Occupation shall not involve the use of commercial vehicles for the delivery of materials to or from the premises beyond those commercial vehicles normally associated with residential uses.
- The Home Occupation shall be confined to an enclosed structure.
- The appearance of the structure shall not be altered nor the occupation within the residence be conducted in a manner which would cause the premises to differ from its residential character either by the use of colors, materials, construction, lighting, signs or the emission of sounds, noises and vibrations. The uses of utilities and community facilities shall be limited to that normally associated with the use of property for residential purposes.
- If operation is to be operated by a tenant of the property, notarized written permission from the property owner for the use of the property for the Home Occupations shall be submitted.
- All required permits from other agencies and departments shall be submitted with the Home Occupation Permit application.
- Noise emanations shall not exceed fifty five (55) dBA as measured at the property lines at all times.
- Any activity producing glare shall be carried on so that direct or indirect light from the source shall not cause glare onto an adjacent parcel.
- Storage or use of chemicals, solvents, mixtures or materials which are corrosive, toxic, flammable, and irritant, a strong sensitizer, or other similar materials used in Home Occupation shall be used only with the written approval of the appropriate authority (s) as determined by the Hazardous Waste Risk Assessment Section of the County Department of Environmental Health Services.
- Parking shall comply with the parking requirements specified by Division 7, Chapter 6 of this Title. One additional parking space shall be provided for each non-resident employee.
- Motor vehicle repair or service will not be allowed as a Home Occupation use.
- Public advertising (e.g. handbills) shall only list: phone number, home occupation operator’s name, post office box and description of business. Location information shall be limited to community name only. Business address or location should not be included in any public advertising.
Home Occupation Standards
Home Occupations are allowed on any property that is within a land use district that allows residential uses subject to a Home Occupation permit and the following provisions:
- All employees, partners or operators of the home occupation, shall be members of the resident family and shall reside on the premises.
- Up to twenty-five percent (25%) or two hundred fifty (250) square feet, whichever is greater, of the total floor area of the dwelling unit and related accessory structures, may be used for storage of materials and supplies related to the Home Occupation.
Cottage Industry Standards
Cottage Industries are allowed on properties that are at least one (1) acre in area within land use districts that allow residential uses and which require a minimum lot area of two and one-half (2 1/2) acres or greater, subject to a Special Use Permit and the following:
- All employees, partners or operators of the home occupation, except two (2), shall be members of the resident family and shall reside on the premises.
- A non-illuminated identification sign, not to exceed twelve (12) square feet in area and stating the business name and telephone number shall be permitted. If not attached to the residence, such sign shall not exceed six (6) feet in height and must blend with the architectural style of the structure and the neighborhood.
- Up to thirty five percent (35%) of the total floor area of the dwelling unit and related accessory structures or five hundred (500) square feet, whichever is greater, of the home may be used for storage of materials, supplies and equipment related to the cottage industry.
- Operating hours of a Home Occupation shall between the hours of seven (7:00) a.m. and eight (8:00) p.m.
- Direct sales of products or merchandise shall be limited to seven (7) customers per week